Also included in
- This is a bundle of 6 lessons for a high school earth science or ecology course designed to facilitate independent learning about freshwater and marine ecosystems and how they are impacted by human development. The lessons are ideal for sub plans or simply to encourage self-instruction of basic con$43.00$54.00Save $11.00
- Are you ready for your students to take charge of their learning? This environmental science course is interactive, hands-on, and student-centered! It includes tons of labs and activities as well as web-quests, worksheets, concept maps, and quizzes! Students learn about the features and organisms$170.00$212.50Save $42.50
This bundle of worksheets and activities is perfect for a high school environmental science or agriculture course and will introduce your high school students to groundwater management and aquifers. Experiments, bell-ringers, homework and more are all included- they even get to build an aquifer model! Students will also understand the need for groundwater sustainability while learning about the Ogallala aquifer and the Dust Bowl.
Topics include: groundwater v. surface water, uses of groundwater, aquifers, the Ogallala aquifer, tragedy of the commons, Dust Bowl, types of irrigation, cost and benefit of different irrigation methods, crop needs, impacts of irrigation
▶️Want to use this lesson in Google Classroom(TM) or Microsoft OneDrive(TM)?
Find a Google Drive version of this file here for assigning materials in a SNAP!
- Detailed teacher lesson plan- essential questions, standards, included resources, necessary materials and possible extension activities
- Web-quest for content delivery with guided student notes
- Build an Aquifer Activity- students make a model of an aquifer and illustrate effects of pollution on groundwater
- Irrigation Group Research Activity- costs and benefits of different types of irrigation
- Inquiry Experiment- design an experiment to determine the effects of salinity on plant growth
- Homework or Class-work pages:
-3 Data Analysis Pages- practice reading and interpreting graphs and charts
-Ogallala Aquifer map reading assignment- how this aquifer illustrates the tragedy of the commons
-Case Study- how does groundwater usage encourage invasive species
- Online Google Forms Quiz to assess learning
*Note: To see everything included in the lesson, please use the PREVIEW button above.
➤My Environmental Science Series includes lessons for each sphere of the earth:
➤How do I use this lesson?
Students independently gain vocabulary and basic concepts through internet web-quests and videos. Students are then able to practice concepts in the classroom with group activities and experiments. This lesson bundle is perfect for substitutes or distance learning because students can work independently on many of the assignments.
➤What curriculum could I use with this lesson?
This lesson is ideally geared towards high school students and would work well with a general level Environmental Science or Biology textbook. It addresses the following topics in AP Environmental Science:
- 5.1- The Tragedy of the Commons
- 5.4- Impacts of Agricultural Practices
- 5.5- Irrigation Methods
- 5.12- Introduction to Sustainability